Friday 27 September 2013

First portraits



In our welcome week, on the Thursday we had a session drawing each other's portraits in different time limits.

The first exercise we did was to draw our hands three times in different poses.


That was my first drawing of the day, and this was the third hand drawn: 

This time I drew it in pen to make it different to the first hand, although I preferred working with pencil because it feels a lot more natural to me as one of my most used tools.

Then I started working on a portrait of Matti, however I didn't particularly like the results as I didn't think they were properly accurate to the way he looks.

Then I scribbled over the surface of my page and sketched Fiona from the course.
I didn't mind this effect but would have liked a little longer to work on the actual portrait.


The next exercise we did was drawing within a shape. I didn't like the profile drawing of Callum I did but I thought the 3/4 view of Sean was quite good. 


Then I went outside to do a few sketches around the campus. I used a softer pencil to sketch the tree below and was quite pleased with the result- usually I struggle drawing trees but I think I drew it accurately and I especially liked the leaves!


The penultimate drawing of the day was a scene sketch of a bench and it's surroundings. 

I liked this drawing too and thought my sketches were improving throughout the day. The proportions of the scene look okay to me and I think I captured the angle of the bench well. :) 


My final sketch was of classmate Tom Lewis and our tutor Ben. I was happy with these because I think I've drawn Tom's expression well and the general figure of Ben looks well in proportion and scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment