Friday 31 January 2014

Illustrator Styles

Throughout the last brief I had a lot of trouble trying to find and solidify my 'style'. I felt like I didn't really have a style like other illustrators do, where it's so obvious that their work is their own.



Above are some examples of Alphonse Mucha's work. These pieces clearly show all the definitive markers for his style, such as a muted but harmonious colour palette and patterned borders around the images. Beautiful women with flowing hair, often wearing neo-classical robes and holding bouquets of fresh flowers are another staple in his commercial works. All of these features together pinpoint his particular personal style.

Because I like to draw quite realistically, I felt as though I didn't have a style and this presented a few problems to me in that I didn't really know how to define my possible future illustrative voice. I was confused as to how I could present my style of drawing in a way that could become unique to me and me alone, because there are a lot of other artists out there that can draw realistically and I didn't want to be one of the same.

Therefore I will first be researching other illustrators that have a fairly realistic, true-to-life style to see what seperates them from the crowd and to try and inspire me to find my own discerning flair.
However, a few people I know mentioned they thought that my drawings and illustrations reminded them of vintage, old-style, almost Victorian-era type illustrations so I think I'd like to research this kind of illustration too to see if it gives me any good ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment