Thursday 2 January 2014

Sayaka Ganz

Sayaka Ganz uses found objects to create her fluid, momentous sculptures. She sorts plastic objects into different bins for each colours and when she has enough material of one colour she decides on her subject.



This exhibition called 'Emergence' is my favourite by her. I think the way she has used the exhibition space is really interesting because it adds a whole new depth to the movement of the installation. The horses look as if they are actually charging through the space and the forms really fit well with each other.

detail in 'emergence'

Sayaka pays incredible attention to detail in her works and plans the general layout of her pieces but not so much that each piece is set in it's own defnite space.  In the following quote she describes part of her working method:

'This is like a puzzle to me. I make sure that all the objects are properly aligned to maximize the effect of motion, then add, step back, add something else, step back again and then maybe remove a piece. I keep on going until the piece looks completely formed but not overly dense...When my sculptures are observed from a distance, they represent the great beauty and harmony in our community. Through my sculptures I believe that I transmit a message of hope.'  Sayaka Ganz

This relates to my group's exhibition work in that we also had a general plan of action when it came to painting our piece- however as we continued working on it we made different decisions regarding the composition and the content of the piece. 


This sculpture was another one that I really liked. Again Sayaka had utilized the exhibiton space to work extremely well with her work and this is a talent I really admire of hers.

(all images for research only)

No comments:

Post a Comment