Wednesday 26 March 2014

New Inspiration

Throughout the project I've struggled yet again with finding a sound idea for my illustration. However while looking through the creative commons on Flickr for reference photos of boys, I noticed a lot of the images were vintage/retro which is a style I've always liked.
 From that I suddenly got the idea to go with a retro 50s theme for my characters and settings, which was a huge relief as I was getting quite frustrated and disheartened with my drawings and was feeling unconfident of my own abilities. Again this has been a valuable lesson for me, showing me that I do indeed sometimes need a 'theme' to work around, much like in the previous module when I was struggling with the Book of Drawings.

This was further helped and inspired when I was at the gym and Grease was on the TV in front of my cross trainer!


From then on I started researching the fashion during the 1950s, particularly in Britain as this is where the book is set. This will be a particularly interesting source of reference for the Grand High Witch and the other witches, as they are all described as rather fashionable ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment