Wednesday 14 May 2014

Character Sketches 2- The Grand High Witch & Co.

Instead of pushing on with the boy sketches, I turned my attention to the Grand High Witch and the others as I was looking forward to drawing these much more and thought I would be able to produce some drawings I was happier with for this. 


I started by doing some really quick, loose sketches of 50s style women and different clothing, like the shirt-dress, a pencil skirt and a halterneck swing dress. 


I liked the middle drawing of the GHW, she looks almost like a cross between Grease's Frenchie and Rizzo. This was the sketch I wanted to refine more, which I did below. I first drew the Witch in pencil and went over this in black Fineliner to emphasise the lines. I photocopied the drawing so that I could experiment with colour.


I experimented with watercolour paints and some different colour palettes. Although the brown and green theme looked nice, it definitely didn't scream 'Super hot and powerful Witch Bitch' which is what I was aiming for, while the sassy blue and red theme nailed it. The only thing I would change about it would be her hair- jet black would look a lot more sophisticated, the red hair is too soft and girly for a powerful witch. 



I did two more really quick doodles of other witches wearing everyday clothes. I purposefully made them different to the Grand High Witch as these witches are more run-of-the-mill while the Grand High Witch reigns supreme over all others.


No comments:

Post a Comment