Thursday 25 September 2014

The Concept

The concept behind my work for this album is the ideal of the 'American Dream', focusing on the high-class and very fashionable era of the 1920s- 30s (think 'the Great Gatsby' with a more modern perspective).

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Vintage Classics cover 2013 [1]

My reasoning behind this is that this era was very much focused on wealth and the things that often go with it, i.e. fast cars, fashionable clothes and well-furnished homes. The general ethos in that time was that with enough work, even more determination and just a pinch of luck was that you could achieve the unachievable; incredible success for you and your family in 'The Land of Dreams'.
Iggy herself journeyed to America in pursuit of her own aspirations, and the story of this is well interwined in the lyrics, going hand in hand with her tales of new found fame, money and access to the world of fasion and luxury.

Another constant allegory within her songwriting is the determination to have a booming career. Running along the same lines as that is that she possesses some lone wolf qualities enabling her to work without distractions and hindrances. This is something I'll definitely try to convey in what I create although exactly how I'm not sure yet. This is where research comes into play as now I need to research typical items associated with all of these themes. By using research I can really dig deep into my concept and get the work spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment