Saturday 27 September 2014

Vinyl Cover Research (2)

Another vinyl cover I found really intruiging is this one from band 'Cave Painting'. The album was "inspired by Japanese paper engineering and binding techniques"[1]. 





 At first glance the album does look stylish, with the white background contrasting sharply with the diamond in the center. Opening it up, however, shows a fantastic concertina fold with each page colourfully gradiated and a different cut made in each layer to put together the diamond you see on the outside.


 The vinyl cover differs from the CD cover, but not by much. The thoughful design is still present just manifesting in a different way- a pattern of die cut shapes show the inner sleeve underneath, giving an animated effect when removed. 



Again, although this is something I find creatively inspiring I'm finding it hard to figure out a way to connect it with the album I'm doing now. Somehow I need to make my own visually engaging packaging, combining all the aspects of the concept I have and of the illustrations I create for it. 







 (Images from www.creativereview.co.uk  )
[1] Gavin Lucas, www.creativereview.co.uk, visited 27/09/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment