Wednesday 12 February 2014

Character Profiles

To help get me started with my character development I started reading through the book again and writing notes about each character which would be illustrated. Like Blake has done in the original illustrations, I have decided also that I would like to draw the 'cast' of the book to present at the beginning.

However instead of doing all 6 characters I have decided I will only be presenting the Boy, his Grandmother, Bruno and the Grand High Witch. My reason for this is that I feel like Mr. Stringer and Bruno's parents aren't very prominent characters in the book and although I will be developing what they look like I won't be promoting them like the other four.

So to start off with this I began writing down some notes about each character to give me some ideas on possible designs for each character.

 

Some of the characters features were mentioned in the book, like that the Grandma is over 80 and has a larger, cuddly figure, but the boy was quite undescribed throughout and so it was up to my imagination to produce a character for him.

These were my initial thoughts on each character, and will provide the basis for my first character sketches. I also need to think about the fact that the two boys will have two character models as partway through the book they are transformed into small mice. 


And now enjoy this old engraving of some common mice:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment