Monday 10 February 2014

Life Drawing 3/2/14

Last Monday we had our first life drawing session of the module, drawing a male model we have previously drawn in another session.

 

This was one of the first sketches I did in this session. In the previous module I used a lot of the same materials and techniques so this module I'm trying to branch out a little more, hence the orange pencil. This sketch definitely isn't the best of the session, it was more of a warm up drawing to loosen up. 

 

In this sketch I used a 0.3point fineliner and a green and blue pencil to add areas of tone. I always dislike drawing poses like this because I always feel like they never turn out well. I find it hard to draw the angles and curves. 


 

This was another experiment with adding tone using coloured pencils. I quite liked this and would have liked to finish it, although he looks like a green human-slug thing in this pose which I find moderately amusing. :D


 

 I liked the odd angle of this sketch. I thought I tackled it well and recorded the anatomy of the model properly considering the awkward shapes the face makes in this position. Used a 3B pencil.

 

I also drew a close-up of the models foot. Feet are interesting to draw because they can be so different (and disgusting!). Here I used a 0.2point fineliner and a 3B pencil to add some tone to the foot as the way the tendons in the foot cast interesting shadows was something that I really wanted to practice recording. I really liked this sketch, it was definitely one of my favourite, if not because of the subject but because of the technical aspects.

 

Here I used a pencil for the main drawing and then a graphite stick to draw the close-up. Recently I've been finding myself having time to spare after each sketch so I've been taking it upon myself to draw little extra bits to keep it interesting. I think it's interesting how there isn't much difference between the two mediums in the photograph but in the actual sketchbook you can see the differences in texture. 

 

Throughout our lifedrawing sessions I've done quite a few drawings with my left hand. Although it can be quite difficult to control the medium with my left hand, I've found that the chunky graphite sticks produce a really good drawing like the one I did in this session. I think because the graphite is thicker than a pencil or pen it's easier to work with and I think that a lot of my left handed drawings have tons of character and life to them. This one almost looks Neanderthal with the hunched back and vapid expression (no offense to the model!).


This was a sketch from memory. For the 2 mins allotted I did not look at the model at all- before drawing we were allowed 2 minutes to look at the model and take in their features. I thought I did really well with this, the only problem I had was with the angle of the arm and the charcoal pencil I used was a great way to add hints of tone and muscle. 


 

This was my favourite exercise of the session, as we were to draw a portrit. Well for me, I love drawing people, which is why I enjoyed it so much. However I did want it to be a little different so I again used a green pencil.



No comments:

Post a Comment