Tuesday 11 February 2014

Notes on Character Development

Last week we had a discussion about character devlopment, with our tutor Ben leading the talk.

I took some notes about what he was saying to aid me while developing my characters.

  • I should be able to draw my characters in any position, clothing and angle. I need to know them inside out. 
  • Life drawing and reportage are valuable sources of reference 
  • Keep all character doodles and sketches, along with sketchbooks of development
  • Squared sketchbooks can help keep proportions proper
  • Experiment with facial expressions and try using own face for reference
  • Once characters are established, then experiment with colour and medium
  These are some useful pointers, some of which I do already, such as using square sketchbooks, but I should try more of these things throughout the project such as looking through my life drawing and reportage more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment