Tuesday 4 November 2014

Architecture Research- pt4 + Summary




The research I gathered was really helpful; I can now say with confidence that I can easily recognise, and draw, Art Deco buildings. A lot of buildings have a strong symmetrical element of some kind and many are tall buildings, reaching right up to the sky. 

Windows are often placed in unusual positions (offset to the left or right, maybe) and were sometimes circular- stained glass design was popular (something I researched at the beginning of the brief) and so were decorative wrought iron gates and window shutters. 

There is often a strong diagonal orientation in the design, with lots of triangles and angles used. Lots of perpendicular lines are used in conjunction with the floor and give a striking effect when paired with the strong symmetry. 

geograph.org.uk

Just over the road from my estate is an old bakery that has been converted into chic modern flats. 
The Daylight Bakery is a unique speck of classic Art Deco design in Stockton-On-Tees and even better if that it's just around the corner. I was able to do a long reportage study of the bakery and spent a lot of time refining it until it looked just so. Of course it isn't a perfect representation but I think I made a pretty good attempt at it; I think the opportunity to draw from an authentic source that is a specific part of my brief is fantastic and enabled me to really get a feel for Art Deco design. 



No comments:

Post a Comment