Tuesday 4 November 2014

Grand Theft Auto Research

When I started colouring and lining the vinyl illustrations, I wanted to replicate the line quality of the fashion illustration, as well as the soft colours and bold type.

I've been a gamer all my life and watched my dad play video games too. From this I've had the chance to see a wide array of game related artworks; everything from sci-fi and fantasy to manga style art and hyper realistic works. One that stood out to me really clearly in my memory was the art of the Grand Theft Auto games, with San Andreas and Vice City at the forefront.

www.gtasanandreas.net
gta.wikia.com
Looking at the artwork above and below, it's easy to see how with my current process and style I could relate my work to the GTA art. What I like most about the piece is the dynamic line qualities and glowing skin, with a subtle background and a piercing expression.

Speaking of technicalities, it's most likely that these works were finished digitally, in Photoshop or some similar program. I say this because of the lineart and the shading- shading that looks almost like cell shading but also has soft edges and some gradients where needed. The crisp vector outlines of the background also suggest a digital edge- digital work is known for being ultra sharp.

rockstargames.com
A possible influence of this style could be the Pop Art movement of the 70s, pioneered by the likes of Roy Litchtenstein and Andy Warhol. Roy Lichtenstein actually did create some album covers in his unique style, as shown below.

http://artistsbooksandmultiples.blogspot.co.uk/
http://artistsbooksandmultiples.blogspot.co.uk/

Looking at the art side by side, I think the biggest influence has been in the form of the lines. Lichtenstein used thick, bold strokes to encase his characters with a more delicate touch on the face and hair. A lot of Lichtenstein's paintings had backgrounds of buildings and cities, and I think look great when combined with the bold lines and vibrant colours.

allposters.com



Another staple in Lichtensteins style is a varied and dynamic perspective. The crop of the images, usually focused right on the subject, is intense and powerful and immediately draws your eye to the centre. When browsing the work of GTA, I noticed that these artists also made works with the same whirlwind atmosphere, as if the subjects could walk right off the canvas.

gta.wikia.com

All artwork belongs to respective owners and is for research purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment