Tuesday 4 November 2014

Vinyl Sleeve Interior- Initial Thumbnails

 This page contained the initial sketches I drew for the vinyl interior. I wanted the illustration to span the three panels, like one long illustration, but when I started drawing it I soon realised I'd have to seriously think about the composition to make it work. My idea was to have Iggy sprawled/sitting on a 'Fancy' retro car in the middle of an American Art Deco street, with these beautiful posh buildings all around. I also wanted to organise the song titles within these two outside panels, 'hiding' them as if they were street and shop signs.
When I started to try and refine my idea, I saw that my idea really wouldn't work the way I wanted to. To make this perspective work I would need to either make Iggy (the main focus) really small in the background to see the buildings properly, or make her large enough to view properly but then you would only see the first third or so of the buildings, rendering my whole idea void.

Then I had the idea of making the images three totally separate illustrations; I would keep the building concept but just execute it in a different way. I decided I would draw Iggy in the middle on the car (as stated before) but the buildings would be drawn in two point perspective and showcase the gorgeous Art Deco style of New York and Miami.


No comments:

Post a Comment