Tuesday 4 November 2014

Evaluation

Throughout this module the brief specified that we needed to create pretty much a full package for an album released on CD or 12" Vinyl, and we would need to form a concept we could show through our work.

The album I chose was Iggy Azalea's 'The New Classic', released on 21st April 2014. I analysed each song separately so I could glean as much information from them as I could- after all the lyrics and my interpretation of them is what would provide the basis of my concept.

After analysing the lyrics the main themes I deducted from the album were money, wealth, fashion, class and success with some sexual undertones. The album also had a kind of American Dream/ rags to riches vibe too which was something I thought I could capitalise on. Iggy moved from Australia to the US to find her fortune and so far it's paying off, and she can actually now get these things she wanted so much growing up. From this I had the idea of incorporating an Art Deco theme into my work because her journey to the US took her to the city of Miami, well known for its Art Deco architecture and influences, so it would be the perfect fit. This also allowed me to explore options within typography and graphic design I otherwise wouldn't have had the chance too.

During this project I undertook a lot more research and did a lot more analysis than I have previously; I literally have not stopped updating my sketchbook with more research as and when I've needed it. This is something that hasn't really been a problem but can be a bit annoying when I'm ready to dive in headfirst. I think a good way to avoid this next module would be to list exactly what I need to research for each image- most of what I needed to do were for things like the car and buildings, so things that aren't the main focus but do form a large chunk of the illustrations.

I expanded my methods of research to not just include the internet, I made much more use of the library during this project and it has really paid off. A lot of my ideas came from flicking through library books and the ones with images I found most inspirational were the ones I photocopied and placed in my sketchbook, so I could reference them wherever I was and not just when I was at a computer. I find the library a lot less intimidating now and it's easier to search when you have a little more experience in doing so, which is where I fell down last year. I found a lot more information than I expected which was a nice surprise and this new knowledge can also potentially help me in my academic studies.

I kept my concept consistent during the project which took a great deal of pressure away from me. Again, last year this was an area I didn't really keep on top of  my work and attitude suffered as a result. Consistency is key to success, especially in this line of work as everything should be part of a prior development, not just whipped up at the last minute because 'it looks nice'. To avoid this, recently I've been trying to incorporate some symbolism into my work, some things obvious and some more subtle. Colours were used frequently as indicators of status during this project, especially with the heavy use of gold, yellow and blue, all rather harmonious colours with generally positive personalities; gold for wealth and fortune, yellow for happiness and blue for calm and confidence.

My process during this assignment has developed rather rapidly and I'm definitely improving the technique the more I use it. I've been drawing in almost a Grand Theft Auto/ comic art style with emphasis on lineart and compositional dynamics, but with my own way of colouring and shading. I've kept true to the usual Art Deco symmetry, but this is something I like to employ in my own work anyway so it was fun to design something I didn't have to constantly worry about in terms of composition and content.

In my sketchbook I would start by doing some preliminary sketches, spending maybe 30s at the most on one. From there I would chose between one and three different thumbnails to start refining, and then I would choose the one I thought would work the most. Using my research as reference has been really useful and something that's really contributed to what I feel is the high standard of my work for this module.

After finalising the pencil sketch I'd scan it in and open a new Photoshop document (in the right size and format) and start drawing over the main lines with a black Brush tool. I always make sure the 'Pen Pressure' option is on because when using this with a tablet you can achieve realistic, tapering brush strokes. Then I would colour and shade the image, do any last tweaks, add or take away text and in general make sure it's up to par.

The hardest part of this brief for me was trying to get my head around the vinyl templates. To design my own was fairly easy but it felt like I wasted a lot of time searching for one online that had three panels, and maybe next time I would choose a CD because the packaging was too big to print A1. I couldn't change my idea to be a CD cover because then I would need to change a lot of my images and concepts for them- but it is definitely something to think more about next time instead of just instantly proclaiming I know exactly what to do.

This project has been what feels like a total turning point for me. Compared to last year I've grown a lot more confident about my work with much less doubt clouding my mind. I trust in my own ideas and sketches which is an important aspect of the job because without any confidence you'll probably never be able to approach big names appropriately. What I love most about this new process is that I can use both traditional and digital medias, and that I can go in a few different directions digitally from this. I still want to work in game splash and concept art but this style would definitely be something I should try to keep improving.

Making the packaging was something I really enjoyed doing. It was nice to be able to hold something physical I had made with my own hands and to see it displayed with the rest of my images. This project was good for me in that it really needed to make me think about the way the work should be delivered and how I can use line, type and ornaments to tie different elements under one branch together.

The most important conclusion of the brief though is that I am never as organised as I think I am. This module I kept an academic diary with 'mini-deadlines' for myself but that pesky thing called life got in the way sometimes and I couldn't stick to it as strictly as I wanted too. It was a massive help though and really helped me get myself together to create such Fancy work; last year I was all over the place really, and just scraping by. This definitely wasn't the way I wanted the rest of my career to be so that was when I started organising myself and just simply getting on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment