Monday 3 November 2014

Illustrated Swimwear

As of yet I don't know if my swimwear range will actually have illustrated designs on them, or some Art Deco style pattern or motif. At the moment I'm swinging towards using patterns as it would be hard to fit detailed AD style illustrations onto a small plane but patterns and motifs would be easily achievable (and probably look better).

To help make a decision I researched some existing bikinis featuring illustrated and graphic art.

Camilla and Marc- Kristy Bikini
Bandeau style top, high rise bottoms. 
Features contrasting colours, leaf and branch vector style motifs and contrasting colour band on bra.
http://www.surfstitch.com/


The colours give this otherwise pretty average looking bikini a contemporary update and along with the interesting pattern make it a curious piece. Although the work is a pattern, it doesn't look to be very uniform which is something I would want in my own designs. However I do like the colours (especially the acid yellow) and some sort of contrasting palette is something I would love to use in my own designs.











Aztec Rose- Art Pop Bikini
Halterneck style top, low rise briefs. 
Features girly floral patterns and complimentary colours. 

http://www.theiconic.com.au/


The floral design on this particular bikini really does give it a soft, feminine look, and the push-up halterneck style is always a flatterer, no matter what the body type. Complimentary colours in strategic placements help draw the gaze towards the areas that typically would be most attractive- i.e. the chest (not the crotch). With this being the part with the most design area, it helps showcase the artistic ability that's went into the design and is something I should bear in mind. 










Red or Dead- Message in a Bottle 
Bold red swimsuit with low back and illustrated bottle print.
http://www.surfdome.com/



I really enjoy the print on this suit- it's cute, playful and goes really well with the merchandise (message in a bottle, ocean, beach etc). The bold red is a traditional 'sailor' colour and so helps promote the symbolism within the design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment