Tuesday 4 November 2014

Vinyl Template

There are plenty of website with free templates to download of anything from CD's and DVD's to Vinyl covers. However every one that I found was only designed for a one fold, two side packaging. This was difficult because I had designed mine to have three panels, so I needed to design my own packaging for this.

The way I wanted it to be laid out would be so that on the front is the album title 'The New Classic', the same as the box. On the back would be the caravan illustration and underneath the album title page would be the song list and credits.
This would be opened to reveal the full three page spread.

An easy way to do this was via Photoshop; I couldn't make the cover at full size because I physically couldn't afford a forty pound print out so I reduced the size to 50% (scaled).

Therefore the packaging would need to be 6x18" for the exterior, and then three separate images for the inside illustrations.

Full Exterior Spread

Full Interior Spread

Vinyl Template
When I printed the template, I used my own initiative to cut the tabs and stick it all together to form the prototype. I placed the tabs on the top and bottom of the left and right exterior panels, and used the scalpel to score the places I needed to fold so that I would get a sharp edge. The building panels had just one tab on the outside edge to create a pocket where the poster, fashion illustration, bikini voucher and other bits and bobs would go.

No comments:

Post a Comment