Tuesday 4 November 2014

Vinyl Sleeve Illustration 1- Exterior Panel

I started a page with some ideas for inspiration and some sketches to go with them to demonstrate them more clearly.


At first I started to go in a typically modern 'ghetto' look, with an urban street style. Then I had the brainwave of using the merchandise in the cover! This would help promote the products as really fashionable attire; Iggy is seen as a fashion icon now (most singers/stars usually are when they rise to fame) and her fans are much more likely to buy/invest in something if their know their idol is too. After honing in on this idea I started to draw some quick thumbnails, experimenting both content and composition wise.



As part of my concept, I wanted to portray a rags-to-riches theme along with the classy and expensive Art Deco style. My best idea was to depict Iggy walking 'through' the back of the sleeve, out into the centre of the interior, amidst symbols of wealth and fortune. The other ideas I had were a bit boring, frankly, or way too sleazy for the concept.


I started refining the thumbnail I liked best, but still in a quick fashion. At this point in my process I usually don't spend a massive amount of time on thumbnails- once I have the general idea down and the execution I focus on the bits that actually need the work. Here I stopped concentrating on the background after the second sketch because by that time I had a vision in my own mind of how I wanted the scene to look. What I did after this was work on the pose and general feel of the figure, Iggy; in the end I decided that the concept would work best with her walking away, so it really does look like she's moving through the packaging and not just standing there gormlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment